Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I'm Really Not The Cat's Pajamas

It all started as a joke. Then curiosity struck. That was followed by complete and utter fascination. I'm referring to the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad thing called online match making sites. Yes, I was sucked in. Better yet, my sweet friend dragged me there and dropped me off. Then and there I was swept away into the mysterious meat market that is the world wide web. 

With my profile in full swing, I was absolutely terrified of what awaited me on the other side of my log in screen. Would I have no suitors? Would absolutely no one be the least bit interested? Okay, so my profile description sounds a bit like a grandma. More literally like I'm sitting in my rocker and reading Guidepost magazine...but I honestly can't help that I like to read and drink hot tea (Note** not always at the same time. I like them both equally and separately). What was I supposed to put? A bunch of stuff that I will have to explain later when they turn out to be oh so untrue? No, I don't think so. The truth may not be glamorous and exotic, but it sure beats a lie any day. 

Finally, I am logged in. My profile has been viewed numerous times. It has been viewed more times than I thought were necessary. This profile has been viewed so many times that I was feeling anxious and uncomfortable. Who were all of these people? I kept saying over and over to myself, "I don't know you. I really don't know you. Why are you looking at my profile?" To say the least, I was freaked out. And I'm sure you're thinking, "Duh, that's how this thing works. You meet people you don't already know and would otherwise probably never meet." And yes, I was completely aware of that fact, but nothing prepared me for it. 

There were the winks. Virtual winks. Those have to be the creepiest and strangest form of communication I've ever encountered. "Hey, there's a pretty good looking girl. I think I'll send a virtual wink her way. That will strike her fancy." Um, no sir. Not at all. 

Then there were e-mails. Keep in mind, these are from complete strangers. People I have never in my life had any kind of conversation with. I had phone numbers and invitations to "dine" with them at the restaurant of my choice or enjoy a "film" that I too would be able to choose. Again, no thanks. I don't know you. 

Needless to say, I blocked several people that day. I also decided I should probably start looking for that cat I'm obviously destined to spend the rest of my life with. 

This online dating thing is still extremely new to me. I'm not even two weeks in. Imagine the tales this Cat Lady will have in a few more? 

And as always, I'll send you off with a virtual wink until next time...   ;)


x
Unlikely Cat Lady





No comments:

Post a Comment