Note** This is not a "man-hating" blog, however, this post may sway toward my belief that women are the superior gender. Then again, maybe we just like to talk. A lot. And about everything.
Another eventful day at the law office of J. Peters. By the way, that's where I work. I'm a legal secretary.
The day started off on the subject of whipped topping and bubble wrap and ended somewhere after this thoughtful question, "Did you see how big our thing was?" I'm sure I know what you're thinking, and the answer is yes. We are crazy.
But the real fun for me today happened when I was returning this afternoon with lunch. I was bent over with my best side and behind stuck up in the air attempting to not spill my jumbo sized sweet tea, all the while balancing a couple of take out plates. My co-worker was on the other side doing the exact same thing. Let's just say, I have a little more junk than she does. Trunk junk that is. So here I am bent over on Main Street and I hear something that is sort of unfamiliar. Mentally, I question it but go back to what I was doing. You know, the important task of not spilling the tea. But I hear it again and instantly turn around. Two gentleman, and I use that term sparingly, are honking at me, and they have the silliest grins plastered on their faces.
It was not flattering by any means, but it was definitely laughable. That lovely event stirred up the topic of conversation, or what my lady friends would call a failure of communication. It seems to be a lost art. As an example, I will use my friend. She's back on the dating scene again and let me tell ya folks, she's a catch. So she meets this guy through a mutual friend. He's several years older than her so we're thinking this will work out. They talk a few times on the phone and he even texts her some. Then they went out. There were no fireworks or parades or really anything spectacular about their evening. It was one of those situations where you really just want to forget it ever happened. So, she is ready to move on. No hard feelings. No emotional break downs.
Three days elapse and he sends her a text message. "Sup". That's what he sent her. He is a grown man. After being okay with never speaking to him again, she receives this message and is quite furious. Not only is she reminded of the awkward evening they shared, but he has allowed this much time to go by with no communication, and this is what she gets. "Sup." After hearing no response from her, he send another message expressing his concern for her well being (again...three days later). Then he calls. Obviously this guy doesn't understand rejection.
I myself have had my fair share of a lack of proper communication. There was one guy in particular who was pretty fond of "Hey". That was his signature line. "Hey." Honestly, "hey" is not a conversation starter. Quite frankly after that one horrible experience, "hey" in general just pisses me off. Be funny. Be unique. Be different. Don't be "hey". And if you've read my previous post, you will know I am the proud account holder of an online dating site. There I have received some terribly poor attempts at communication. There are misspelled words and practically no correct grammar usage at all. There is no punctuation or too much in the wrong place at the wrong time. Oh, you don't understand what I mean when I say all of that? Let me show you. This is an e-mail I received from a fellow single person prowling for love, or something like it, online:
"so what brings u to the match lolu is cuute"
No, unfortunately, I did not make this up. I honest to goodness received that and was forced to yet again block someone from further communication. My sweet co-workers had this to say to me in regards to all of my people blocking: In a couple of months, you will go to search your matches and see a message that says, "I'm sorry. You have no matches." They are probably right.
Maybe I'm a little nuts when it comes to words, but I love them. And maybe that's why I'll end up with a cat. They can't talk.
Today I'll be sending you off with a personal favorite quote of ours at the office:
Use your words ;)
x
Unlikely Cat Lady
No comments:
Post a Comment